Monday, December 19, 2011

Gingerbread houses!





We were supposed to go to my Aunt's house yesterday and celebrate Christmas with her, my uncle, and my cousins. Unfortunately, my cousin got into a car accident and ended up breaking her neck. She's in one of those halos and really isn't feeling well enough for a get together. My Aunt decided to postpone it until after the new year.
It ended up working well for us. We hadn't had a chance to buy presents. I ended up inviting my parents over to make gingerbread houses. It was an absolute blast and I hope we make it a yearly event. After putting together the gingerbread house and letting it sit, I tried making a house of out graham crackers. I am here to tell you that this is not an easy task. Every time I would get something decent going, it would fall over.



I finally gave up and let my Dad (the master artist) take over. He actually managed to make it work by literally shellacking the thing with frosting. At the end you could barely tell there was graham cracker underneath.



Dylan, naturally, had more fun eating then decorating. For some reason, he started rolling the candy down the table at me. Every time it rolled near, I would make a big deal out of it. He would just crack up every single time I did. When he did decorate, I was surprised by how serious he was about it. He had to have every candy just perfect.


All in all, they came out really well. Dylan has now been steadily demolishing it. I'll go to do something and come back and another piece of the house is gone.

I love this idea of carving out holiday traditions for Dylan. My parents have always strived to do this for me so I'm trying to do the same for him.

Hope everybody has a very happy holiday (whichever you celebrate)!




No comments:

Post a Comment